Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Recipe Makeover: Stuffed Zucchini

It's that time of year where zucchini is more abundant than annoying low-fat advocates.  I've always enjoyed cooking with zucchini, but I tend to only use it in the summer when it's in season in our area.  I also try to only use local zucs, because, believe it or not, zucchini is one of the most common GMO plants you find in the store.  Scary, right?

When I was low-calorie and vegetarian, I created a nifty way to use up the bumper crop of squash I was getting from my garden.  Of course, it was low in fat and used fake meat, but it was surprisingly easy to convert.

Stuffed Zucchini

12 oz package pork sausage (or 1 pound ground beef if you don't do pork/processed meat)
2 medium zucchinis (6-8 inches long)
1-2 tbsp chopped chives (to taste)
2 cloves minced garlic
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup)
1/2 cup marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out insides with a spoon, leaving a thin shell.  Place the shells into a greased or lined baking dish big enough to hold them.  Rough chop zucchini innards and place into a skillet with sausage and garlic.  Fry on medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and water from zucchini has evaporated.

Mix in the chives and cheese, and then spoon equal amounts of the meat mixture into the zucchini shells.  Spoon about 2 tbsp marinara sauce onto each stuffed zucchini.  Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until zucchini shell is tender. 



It's quite good, if not a little simplistic.  I think next time I'll add more veggies as filler.

Nutrition info:

One zucchini half:
Calories: 438
Fat: 35g
Protein: 26g
Carbs: 7g
Fiber: 1g

1 comment: