Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Personal Update

I'm actually writing this Thursday the 22nd, so it's not exactly up to date, but it's pretty close. 

I wrote a while back about how sometimes I really really want to lose more weight.  I've been stuck at 185 for, gosh, years now.  I did manage to get down to about 176 on a low calorie vegetarian diet, but because I was literally starving myself to get to that point, it didn't last very long.  I thought I would try cutting out more carbs from my diet and to stop eating snacks between meals.

That didn't last long.  It just wasn't natural for me, and it felt way too rigid.  The reason I chose to live this way for the rest of my life is because it makes me feel good and because it's so super easy.  The moment it becomes hard to stick with it is the moment I stop being able to live this lifestyle.  And plus, I'm not a whole person and I can't eat like some others might be able to.  I don't have a gall bladder, which makes it hard for me to go long periods without food without feeling sick. 

I have cut out a lot of the treats and desserts, though.  I used to make low carb desserts all the time.  I'd probably eat them once a day (or more).  I'm not sure why I haven't been making them lately.  Maybe I'm lazy?  Or maybe I don't have such strong cravings for sweets like I used to.  I also don't make low carb breads much anymore, either.  Again, I don't know if it's because I'm lazy or because I'm simply not craving bread. 

I also decided to start really reading Mark Sisson's blog Mark's Daily Apple, and really trying to incorporate his ideas and teachings into my life.  I've been walking a whole lot more, and I picked up weight lifting again (Chad and I both do Fred Hahn's Slow Burn, which is intense!).  I fully intend to try incorporating sprints someday, but right now I'm focusing on lifting and walking and making sure I do them regularly.  Once I get that down, I'll try some sprints.  Sprinting actually sounds awesome.  Chad and I used to run three times a week, and even though I hated the thought of going out and doing it, I actually loved running.  I would wax poetic to Chad after running about how awesome running was and how much I loved it and how I wished I could do it more.  Then the next time we'd go to run, I'd be grumbling the whole time because I hated the thought of it.  Lol! 

So I stepped on the scale about a week ago for the first time in probably a month, and also decided to take my body measurements for the first time in, oh, maybe six months.  The scale said....  181.4!  Woo!  I haven't been that low in a long time, and I'm not even trying to lose weight.  It's gone up a little since then because it's my fat time of month, but it was encouraging to see that.  My goal really truly isn't to lose weight, but I wouldn't mind if it happened. 

The really cool thing, though, was my measurements.  I lost an inch around my waist, an inch around my hips, an inch around my thighs, AND I GAINED A HALF AN INCH AROUND MY ARMS!  If that's not proof that I'm making progress, I don't know what is.  And I can really see that my arms are getting bigger.  Not like huge or anything, but toned.  I told Chad that I have to be careful; the women in my family are very muscular by nature, and if I'm not careful, I'll end up super buff, lol.

My goal it to find ways to be active every day and to get strong and fit.  I'm not like unfit or anything right now.  Like I said, I used to be a regular runner, I go walking and hiking all the time, garden for hours a day, and my usual way of climbing stairs is by running up them.  But I want to be strong.  And I want to get a routine down now while I'm young so that I can be strong even when I"m old.  I don't want to end up like my mom, who is 65 and has trouble walking around the block.  I also want to keep up with Chad, who is continuing to get stronger every time he lifts.  He can now pick me up and carry me without complaining that it hurts his back!  And I weigh more than he does!

So that's how I'm doing.  The longer I travel on this low carb whole foods path, the easier it gets.  It's my lifestyle now.  I've come to accept all that it entails.  I don't get upset at the fact that I have to cook everything we eat practically from scratch, because I know that means we're eating the healthiest food we can.  To be honest, I actually really feel good about making everything we eat from scratch.  Sure, it's a lot of work, but I've always had trouble, as a housewife, feeling like I'm contributing to the household.  Now I know for sure that I am.  Chad goes to work and earns the money to pay for our food, and I put forth the effort to make it into something delicious, nutritious, and life-giving. We wouldn't have gotten as far as we have with low carb if it wasn't for all the hard work I've put forth in the kitchen. 

Now I guess I'd better end this rant before it gets too long.  I'll continue to track my weight here and there, but like I said, it's not really my main goal.  I've come to accept the fact that I'm never going to be a "normal" weight, and it's actually kind of freeing.  Now I can focus on my health and getting stronger, which is way more important anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I make the odd low carb dessert etc but they are not ever part of my normal diet. I do think they can be a real obstacle for weight loss and the less of these we make and eat the better. I don't actually eat many calories a day - at my age of 57 I simply can't eat more than about 1300 without gaining weight. Never mind, the calories I do eat are all good and I don't get hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I am THRILLED that you have discovered Mark's website! Fantastic!

    And congrats on the positive body results! Also fantastic!

    I eat almost no desserts. I've developed a real aversion to most of them, and am currently in the process of removing even the tiny amounts of chocolate I was consuming. For the most part, it's just not worth it to me.

    I'm sorry your mom is struggling so much. 65 is only 3 years away from me (in 19 days LOL)...I don't want to be that type of 65 year old, and I feel so sad for those that are. Maybe you can convince your mom to try little 10-15 minute walks to start, and help her build from there.

    ReplyDelete