Friday, September 27, 2013

Unrecipe: Mexican Parmesan

I have a lot of unrecipes running around in my head; you know, those recipes that are so simple that they don't really require being written down.  For me, they're usually the things I make most often.  Simple, hearty, everyday food.  It's only when I'm feeling creative that I pull out the recipe box.

One of the unrecipes I like to use when I have the ingredients on hand is a simple Parmesan.  Usually I do chicken Parm, but it's also delicious with other meats.  Pork chops, hamburger, steak, whatever.  And I do a version that's way simpler than any recipe you may have seen for it, too, but consequently, it's a lot lower in carbs. It consists of some kind of meat, marinara sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan.  It might not sound like much, but it's quite good.

Well, I decided I would make it tonight, and use some cube steaks from the quarter cow we bought this spring.  Except, after I'd gotten the steaks done and went to get out the marinara, I noticed that the jar I had opened had gone moldy.  That happens with us a lot these days because we use it so infrequently.  Since the meat was already cooked, I had to do something.  Thankfully, I'm a master at improvising.  Also, I had no Parmesan on hand, so this ended up being a lot more simple than I even planned it on being.  But it was delicious!

(Sorry, no picture today!)

Mexican Parmesan 
Cook two servings of meat in a skillet with butter.  You can use chicken breasts, pork chops, hamburgers, steaks, whatever you want as long as it's quick and easy to cook in a skillet.  Once the meat is cooked through, pour a cup of salsa over it and let it simmer for about three minutes.  Sprinkle the mozzarella on top, and cover with a lid.  Continue to simmer for several minutes, until cheese has melted.  Carefully spoon out meat and cheese and salsa and enjoy! 

Chad really enjoyed this mean, and since it was so easy and yummy, I'll be making it again.  Plus, salsa has a lot fewer carbs and a lot more veggies in it than marinara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment