Thursday, June 20, 2013

Adventure!

Becoming a meat eating, paleo/primal/low-carb person has really expanded my diet.  Along with the conventional meat that I'm now eating, like beef, chicken, and bacon, I'm also finding myself getting more and more adventurous.  First I tried ground lamb (I won't be trying that again; too gamey), then beef liver.  A couple of weeks ago, I picked up goat meat at the farmer's market! 

And then, last Friday, I saw something I knew I had to try.  Strolling through the farmer's market, in the same stall that had the goat meat (I went back to pick up more!), I saw....  this.


....Duck eggs?  I mean, I know they're birds.  I know other birds lay eggs.  I know theoretically you can even eat those eggs.  But I've never actually seen anything but chicken eggs.  I knew I had to get them.  But first, I had to ask the guy behind the counter what they tasted like.  In the same beat, both the seller and my mom said "they're richer".  Later on, I found out my mom had kept ducks and chickens when she lived in California as a young wife.  Jealous!

For $2 a half dozen, I figured I had nothing to lose.  So I brought them home.  They look similar to chicken eggs, but.... different, too.  The shells are slightly translucent in spots.  And they're a little bigger than the farm eggs we buy (which I think are jumbo sized).


It got really interesting when I cracked them open.  The membranes under the shells are much thicker, so you really have to pull the shell apart to get the egg out.  And then the white was incredibly thick.  Like....  I don't even know how to describe it.  If I tried, I probably could have gotten the egg white to stretch several feet.  The yolks were quite large, and they were very dark. 

Out of curiosity, I cooked two chicken eggs along side two duck eggs.

Chicken eggs on the left, duck eggs on the right.

It surprised me to see that the duck egg whites are much whiter than chicken egg whites.  Once they were fully cooked, the duck eggs where pure white, whereas the chicken eggs were more ivory.

As for taste?  There honestly wasn't that much different.  The duck eggs were a little more sturdy in texture, and the yolks tasted a little yolkier.  Bot otherwise, they were eggs.  And they were delicious.

1 comment:

  1. You are more adventurous than I. LOL Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete