Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Low Carb Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Phew.  That's a long name for a recipe.

Kind of on a whim the other day, I bought some dark chocolate chips (Ghirardeli's 60% cacao; not as dark as I'd like it, but better than Hershey's special "dark").  Chad recently bought me Cooking With Coconut Flour and also Wheat Belly Cookbook, and I knew both had recipes for chocolate chip cookies in them! 

So yesterday, feeling kind of crazy hungry for chocolate chip cookies all of a sudden, I dug through both books to see what they called for.  The Wheat Belly cookbook calls for 4(!!) cups of almond flour, and I only had maybe 1 1/2 cup ground at the moment.  The coconut flour book was better; however almost all of the coconut flour recipes call for sugar.  I've tried substituting stevia in the past, but unfortunately, the sugar is essential for getting the properties of a cookie.  Anyway, this recipe called for a minimum of 1/2 cup of sugar, and I knew that with the chocolate chips added, it was going to be a carb bomb by the time I was done.  I'll probably try this recipe in the future, when I feel like I have some wiggle room carb wise, but for now I just put it away.

After that disappointment, I hit up Linda's Low Carb, my favorite low carb recipe site.  I like it because Linda personally tries every recipe and then rates and comments on them all.  Well, unfortunately, I didn't see ANY chocolate chip cookies in her recipes. 

I was feeling really desperate for cookies at this point, so I just punched in "low carb chocolate chip cookies" into google and hoped for the best.  Most of the results were ok, but included ingredients that I don't have on hand or would rather not use (like DaVinci syrups or protein powder). 

But there was one gem amongst the others.  It was... so beautiful.  A deep dish cookie, mixed and cooked in a bowl in the microwave.  More like a beautiful cookie cake than an actual cookie.



I remember Linda at Linda's Low Carb saying that she's successfully substituted almond flour for ground flax seed, so I used 1/4 cup of almond flour instead of 1/8 each almond flour and flax seed.  I also used butter instead of coconut oil because I <3 butter.  Who doesn't? 

This baby is big, though.  If you make it, plan on counting it as a large part of your meal, or maybe share it with a friend.  Since Chad's not eating anything sweet of any kind (except for fruit and chocolate), I had to eat it all by myself.  Not that I'm complaining! 

No comments:

Post a Comment