Friday, May 3, 2013

The nature connection

Nature is beautiful.  I just love spring, because I get to be outside again after a long winter away from my beloved mother earth.  It's not that I can't go out in winter; I certainly could go shovel snow, or go snow shoeing, or just go for walks.  But c'mon...  who, in their right mind, actually enjoys being outside in 5 degree weather, with whipping winds, four feet of snow on the ground, and where it's not snowy it's a sheet of solid ice just asking to be slipped on?  Besides kids, of course.

So when spring comes, and I mean really actually shows up (we don't get real live spring until at least the end of April, sometimes May), I like to spend as much time outside as I possibly can, doing whatever I can think to do.

Like hanging laundry out to dry.


Checking the garden (it looks much different now, just a week later).


Turning my compost.


Picking some overwintered greens...


...to add to some homemade soup.



And opening the front door so the cat can bask in the sunshine that spills through the storm door.


I think spending time in nature is important for everyone, no matter where you live or what kind of life you lead.  It keeps you grounded, it calms you, and it heals your heart.  There have been studies about this sort of thing, but it's late and I'm lazy.  I just thought I'd share a little bit of nature with you, and maybe inspire you to get outside and enjoy whatever nature you have access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment